Thursday, October 16, 2008

You Never Forget Your First Time

So I am notorious for awful first times. First dates, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. For some reason, the first time I do something, it turns out pretty badly. Last night was no exception. I finally got to do something I've wanted to for a really long time. I made cheese (I love cheese by the way... ask my wife). I decided to start easy and make queso blanco (you've probably had it on a taco at some point). Most cheese recipes require very careful heating and 12-18 hours of time. This recipe took about an hour to cook and then stayed in the cheese press over night. The recipe included milk, vinegar, and salt... nothing else. Everything was going fine until I forgot one of the three ingredients... salt. I got the curds into the press, put it in the fridge and realized what I had done. Unfortunately, it was quite noticeable. The texture was great, but the flavor turned out pretty bland. Alas, chalk it up to another "first." Regardless, I think I found a new hobby to add to the list and will hopefully be producing some quality cheeses in the coming months. Below is a picture of my first-time. Enjoy!

No comments: