Friday, February 19, 2010

Worms!!!

These came in the mail yesterday:











Yes, that's right.  The pictures are a little hard to see, but they are worms.  Eric ordered them for me for Valentine's day.  Romantic, huh?   Actually, I asked for them.   I've been looking for them for a while around town, but no one seems to have any extra.

I've set up a bin for them with torn up paper that's been moistened.  I drilled holes in the bin for aeration and now I'm letting them accumulate before I add any food.  Did I mention these are for composting our kitchen waste?  I'm excited!

From what I've read, worms can eat their weight in food each day.  So, 1 pound of worms will eat 1 pound of food waste.  I've also read that a typical two-person household will create 1-2 pounds of waste.  The ones we received were ~ 0.5 lbs, so we might have to take it easy on them.

I'll post pictures of the bin and updates as I get them.  Cheers!

No comments: