I recently decided to see if I go without eating meat for a month. It is not for moral or religious reasons, I am just hoping to learn a little from it. My goal is to be more conscious of others and learn new recipes with ingredients I don't always use. I have friends who have chosen this lifestyle and I've always been curious to see what it is like. The rules I've set for myself are simple. I am not a vegan, just no skeletal or smooth muscle from any animal. However, if offered a dish by someone as a gift, I will not turn it down. I don't want to take away someone's joy of giving. Otherwise, no meat for the month of February. I started yesterday (a day later I know, but the super bowl was going to be difficult with multiple meat containing offerings from others) and thus far it hasn't been too bad. Last night I had tempeh for the first time in my life. Honestly, it was pretty good. I can easily see myself eating more of it. Plus, the protein content is through the roof. I cooked it until brown on the griddle and then tossed it with a soy sauce, sesame oil, sriracha sauce (one of my FAVORITES), and rice vinegar over brown rice with nori added. I'm pretty sure my wife would like the meal too which is always a major plus.
I'll try and periodically post about the new foods I try, but no promises.
Look up tempeh and definitely sriracha sauce.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It is rather ironic that you study meat and are going vege. Enjoy the month - there are some yummy foods without meat, and I'm sure you'll think of many more creative non-meat foods than I've ever thought of :)
Post a Comment